Fabulous Peanut Butter Chocolate Bars
My grandmother's recipe was called Special K Bars and used that cereal and 1/2 butterscotch, 1/2 milk chocolate chips. This is my tweaked version.
You can personalize it with a different kind of peanut butter and whatever flake cereal you want(do Raisin Bran if you want the extra fiber).
★★★★★ 2 votes5
- 1 c
- lite karo syrup
- 1 c
- white sugar
- 1 1/3 c
- peanut butter, creamy
- 1 tsp
- vanilla extract
- 7-8 c
- flake cereal (non-sugary; we like corn flakes)
- 6 oz
- peanut butter chips
- 6 oz
- semi-sweet chocolate chips
How to Make Fabulous Peanut Butter Chocolate Bars
- 1Measure the chips into a microwave proof bowl and mix them. Place in the microwave for 2 minutes at a time on 50% power. Stir and check them until they are melted.
- 2Meanwhile, get the syrup and sugar warmed on Med-High heat until just at the boiling point.
- 3Once those are both going, measure the cereal into a large mixing bowl (10 c. capacity or more).
- 4When the sugars are at a boil, take them off the stove immediately and add the vanilla and peanut butter. Pour this hot mixture over the cereal and mix thoroughly.
- 5By this time your chips will be melted. Place 1/2 of the hot cereal mixture into a greased 9x11 pan and pat down. Use waxed paper if the mixture is too hot to handle.
- 6Pour all of the melted chips onto the cereal and spread evenly. Drop the rest of the cereal mixture on the top and pat down.
- 7Let it sit at room temperature for 1 hour before cutting or place in the freezer for 10 min. It will be too hard to cut if you keep it in the fridge or freezer too long, so factor in the time it will take to get to room temperature before cutting and serving if that's how you store it.