essex spice cakes
I think the name is a bit misleading as these cakes are more like big cookies but really when we’re talking about sweet things who cares? I was sold when I noticed it used rose water – I love rose!
This is an old recipe, probably back to the middle ages and made for religious festival days. In my opinion you don’t have to wait for a religious day…. just long enough for the kettle to boil to make a cup of tea
How to Make essex spice cakes
- Preheat oven 375°F and grease a baking tray.
- Cream the butter and sugar in a large bowl until light in texture and pale yellow.
Beat in the eggs and rosewater. Fold in all the dry ingredients using a metal spoon then add the currants.
- Place spoonfuls of the batter spaced well separated onto the baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly and then remove with a palette knife.
- Transfer to a wire tray to cool.
Store in an airtight container.