Edna Lewis Tea Cakes
1/2 cunsalted butter
2 cpure cane sugar
2 largeeggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cbuttermilk room temperature
1 Tbsplemon zest
4 call purpose flour, sifted
4 Tbspbaking powder
1 1/2 tspsalt
1/4 csugar for sprinkling
How to Make Edna Lewis Tea Cakes
- Preheat oven t 400 degrees.
- Mix together softened butter and sugar. When well blended add eggs. You can use a hand mixer or do it by hand.
- Add the eggs one at a time then slowly add the buttermilk and lemon zest.
- Sift together the flour baking soda and salt in a separate bowl.
- Add the flour mixture by cupfuls into the liquid ingredients mixing well after each addition. If using an electric mixer the dough will be stiff enough to go to using your hands.
- Divide the dough into 4 portions. Roll each portion on a lightly floured surface to the thickness of 1 inch
- Use a biscuit or cookie cutter to cut out 2 1/2 inch rounds. Place 1/2 inch apart on parchment lined cookie sheets. Sprinkle the surface of each cookie with sugar.
- Bake o the meddle rack of preheated oven for 8-10 minutes or until edges begin to turn golden brown. Remove immediately to a cooling rack to cool.