How to Make Easter Cookies
- 1Preheat oven to 300 ( this is important - dont wait until yo're half done with the recipe)
- 2Place pecans in zipper baggie and let children beat them with wooden spoon to break into small pieces.Explain that after Jesus was arrested he was beaten by the Roman soldiers.Read John 19;1-3.
- 3Let each child smell the vinegar. Put 1 tsp vinegar into mixing bowl.Explain that when Jesus was thirsty on the cross he was given vinegar to drink. Read John 19;28-30
- 4Add egg whites to vinegar. Eggs represent life.Explain that Jesus gave his life to give us life. Read John 10;10-11. Sprinkle a little salt into each child's hand. Let them taste it and brush the rest into the bowl.Explain that this represents the salty tears shed by Jesus followers,and the bittemess of our own sin.Read Luke 23;27.
- 5So far the ingredients are not very appetizing. Add 1c. suger.Explain that the sweetest part of the story is that Jesus died because he loves us.He wants us to know this and how to belong to him. Read Ps.34;8 and John 3;16.
- 6Beat with mixer on high speed for 12 to 15 minutes until stiff peaks are formed. Explain that the color white represents the purity in God's eyesof those whose sins have been cleansed by Jesus.Read Isa.1;18 and John 3;1-3.
- 7Fold in broken nuts. Drop by teaspoons onto wax paper covered cookie sheet. Explain that each mound represents the rocky tomb where Jesus body was laid. Read Matt 27;57-60.
- 8Put the cookie sheet in the oven,close the door and turn the oven OFF.Give each child a piece of tape and seal the oven door.Explain that Jesus tomb was sealed. Read Matt 27;65-66. GO TO BED ! Explain that they may feel sad to leave the cookies in the oven overnight. Jesus followers were in despair when the tomb was sealed. Read John 16;20 and 22.
- 9On Easter morning,open the oven and give everyone a cookie. Notice the cracked surface and take a bite. The cookie are hollow! On the first Easter Jesus followers were amazed to find the tomb open and empty! Read Matt28;1-9