Dulce de Leche (Caramel) Filled Shortbread Cookies
Blue Ribbon Recipe
We LOVE this homemade dulce de leche! It's so good I could just eat it by the spoonful. These delicious cookies are really easy to make, just be sure to keep an eye on them while they're in the oven so they don't burn. The Test Kitchen
- 2 c
- all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp
- 1 c
- (2 sticks) unsalted butter (not margarine) at room temperature
- 1/2 c
- confectioners sugar
- 1 tsp
- pure vanilla extract (not imitation)
- 1 can(s)
- sweetened condensed milk
- 1 pinch
- kosher salt
How to Make Dulce de Leche (Caramel) Filled Shortbread Cookies
- 3Preheat oven to 350 degrees F - with the rack in the middle of the oven. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough until it is about 1/4 inch thick. Using a lightly floured 1-1/2 or 2 inch round cookie cutter, cut dough. Place on baking sheets and put in refrigerator for about 15 minutes - this firms the dough and helps cookies keep shape while baking.
Bake in preheated oven for 7-10 minutes until edges of cookies are light brown. Cool on a cooling rack. Makes 24-36 unfilled cookies.
- 5Place the covered dish in a larger roasting or casserole pan and fill it up with water until it reaches three quarters of the way up the covered dish to create a water bath. Bake at 425 degrees F for 2-1/2 to 3 hours, checking every 30 minutes on the water level and adding more as needed.
NOTE: Dulce de Leche is ready when it takes on a brown and caramel-like appearance. Remove from the oven and whisk to smoothness.
Let cool before filling and/or storing. This filling will keep in the refrigerator at a least a week. Yummy!
- 6To make sandwich cookies, spread the cooled Dulce de Leche filling on the flat side of a cookie. (Don't spread it thick or it will ooze out when you put on the top). Then top with another cookie - flat side on top of filling. Sprinkle cookies with confectioners' sugar.
FOR ANOTHER TREAT: You can make a Butter Cream Frosting for a yellow or caramel cake using the Dulce de Leche filling, by adding powdered sugar, butter and cream.