Dee Dee's Ultimate Autumn Harvest Cookie
Diane Hopson Smith
I changed measurements of flour, sugars; added salt, removed baking powder and added baking soda.
I had heard about a new way of making Chocolate Chip Cookies with burnt butter and decied to try that with this recipe. To speed up the process I only burnt 1/2 of the butter and added the other 1/2 of solid butter once 1st butter was browned. I did this to get the nutty/toffee flavor and to speed up the firming time.
I think I'm in love with burnt butter and brown sugar. The burnt butter flavor and aroma is out of this world good! I don't think I'll ever make another recipe that calls for butter and brown sugar with out first burning part of the butter!
Where was I when this idea came out??
These cookies came out a little crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside. Nice flavor, however, I might go less on the cloves and cinnamon next time or not use at all.
I'm still working on perfecting this cookie and will make revisions as I go.
A new name is in the making as well.
- 2 1/4 c
- unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp
- 1 tsp
- baking soda
- 1/2 tsp
- 1/4 tsp
- 1 c
- brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 c
- 2 stick
- 1 large
- egg yolk
- 1 Tbsp
- heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp
- grated orange rind
- 1/3 c
- each; dark raisins, light raisins, craisins
- 1 c
- chopped walnuts
- 1 1/2 tsp
- vanilla extract
How to Make Dee Dee's Ultimate Autumn Harvest Cookie
- 1Sift together flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, and cloves; set aside.
- 2Cut both sticks of butter in to several pieces and cook 1/2 of the butter in a small heavy saucepan over a medium high heat, stirring frequently, until it has a nutty fragrance and turns an amber brown, anywhere from 4 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat and add remaining solid butter to the burnt butter; stir until solid butter is melted. This will speed up the firming of the melted butter. Transfer butter to a large mixing bowl and chill until just firm, about 15 minutes.
- 5Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 8Store in airtight tins.