Date Nut Bars
How to Make Date Nut Bars
- Cook dates with water and sugar on stove top; after they come to a bubbly boil, use a wooden spoon and press until they become creamy mush. Set aside to cool a little.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Grease 9 X 2 pan; mix 1 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup margarine and 1/4 cup shortening. Beat with mixer until creamy.
- Add 2 cups Bisquick and 1 1/2 cup oats. Cut with pastry blender until crumbly. Don't mix. Just cut into crumbs.
- Press half of the crumbs into the pan; cover with dates and spread dates with a spoon to make even.
- Sprinkle other half of crumbly oats over dates and press down lightly.
- Bake 25-30 minutes until lightly brown. Cool completely, then store in refrigerator. Cut AFTER they are cooled.