How to Make Date Bars
- 1Combine chopped dates, sugar and water in a sauce pan and cook about 10 minutes, stirring frequently to keep from sticking. Set aside and let cool.
- 2Combine in a bowl using your hands to mix the rolled oats, brown sugar, flour, salt and shortening.
- 3Spread 1/2 of the oatmeal mixture into a 9x13" pan and pat down evenly. Top with the date mixture, spreading it evenly over the crust.
- 4Spread the rest of the oat mixture on top evenly and bake at 400 degrees until ightly browned around the edges, about 25-30 minutes.
- 5Let cool and cut into bars.