1/2 cbutter, softened
1 call-purpose flour
3 Tbspheavy whipping cream
1/4 cbutter, softened
3/4 csifted confectioners' sugar
1/2 tspvanilla extract
1 1/2 - 2 tspheavy whipping cream
1drop each red and green food coloring
How to Make Cream Wafers
- In a mixing bowl, beat the butter, flour, and cream. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut with a floured 1 1/4 or 1 1/2-inch round cookie cutter. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheets. Sprinkle with sugar. Prick each cookie 3 - 4 times with a fork. Don't omit the pricking. If you do, the little cookies will puff up and not make neat cookies.
- Bake at 375 for 7 - 9 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- FILLING -- In a small bowl, combine the butter, confectioners' sugar, vanilla, and enough cream to achieve desired consistency. Remove half to another bowl; tint one portion of filling with red food coloring and the other half with green. Carefully spread filling on the bottoms of half of the cookies; top with remaining cookies. Yield: 2 dozen sandwich cookies.
- Sometimes I bake the cookies and freeze them; then I put the filling between them just before I'm going to serve them. Works just fine!