Cream Cheese Spirals (Cookies)
8 ozbutter, room temperature
8 ozcream cheese
2 tspcaster sugar
8 ozall purpose flour
1 largeegg white beaten with 1 t. water, for glazing
·caster sugar, for sprinkling
FOR THE FILLING:
4 ozfinely chopped walnuts
4 ozlight brown sugar
1 tspground cinnamon
How to Make Cream Cheese Spirals (Cookies)
- With an electric mixer, cream the butter, cream cheese and 2 tsp sugar until soft. Sift the flour over the cream cheese mixture and mix until combined. Gather into a ball and divide in half. Flatten each half, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Make the Filling: In a small bowl, mix together the chopped walnuts, brown sugar and cinnamon; set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- Working with one half of the dough at a time, roll it out thinly into a circle about 11 inches in diameter. Trim the edges with a knife, using a dinner plate as a guide. Brush the surface with the egg white glaze and then sprinkle evenly with half of the filling.
- Cut the circle into quarters, and each quarter into 4 sections, to form 16 triangles. Starting from the base of the triangles, roll up to form spirals.
- Place the spirals on the cookie sheets and brush with the remaining glaze. Sprinkle with caster sugar. Bake for 15 - 20 minutes, or until golden. Cool on a wire rack.