Cranberry Turtle Bars - Dee Dee's
Diane Hopson Smith
Just finished making this awesome cranberry caramel bar and oh my my my my!! Who would have thought a buttery cranberry caramel filling could be so good! Yes I admit it, I did sample!
Posted this recipe for JAP's cranberry lover; Carol Junkins.
Inspired by the Curvy Carrot. I made some changes with pan size and I added coconut and chocolate chips.
Hope you enjoy this holiday treat as much as I do!
Photo's are mine.
Blue Ribbon Recipe
Sweet. Nutty, Satisfying. I could go on for days about these little treats. The cranberry caramel - soooo good. This is a seasonal dessert that I plan to prepare more than just at the holidays. The Test Kitchen
- 2 c
- all purpose flour
- 1/2 c
- packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp
- 3/4 c
- cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubs
- 1 c
- unsalted butter
- 1 2/3 c
- 1/4 c
- light corn syrup
- 1/2 tsp
- 1 1/2 c
- fresh cranberries, coarsley chopped
- 1 tsp
- 3 c
- pecans, toasted and cooled, coarsley chopped
- 1 c
- coconut, flaked
- 1/4 c
- semi-sweet mini chocolate chips
- 2 oz
- fine-quality bittersweet chocolate, very finely chopped
THE CRANBERRY CARAMEL FILLING
How to Make Cranberry Turtle Bars - Dee Dee's
- 1DIRECTIONS FOR CRUST:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 15 X 10-inch shallow baking pan with parchment paper. NOTE: I used a 9 X 13-inch pan and I sprayed bottom of pan with PAM before placing parchment paper in bottom of pan. Butter all 4 sides of pan.
- 2In your food processor, place the flour, brown sugar, and salt and process to combine. Add the cold butter and pulse until the pastry starts to come together and form clumps. Transfer the pastry to the prepared pan and, using your fingertips, evenly press the pastry onto the bottom of the pan. (Can use a metal spatual to form an even layer.) Gently pierce the bottom of the crust with the tines of a fork. (This will prevent the pastry crust from puffing up while it bakes.) Cover and place the pastry crust in the freezer for 15 minutes to chill. (This will help prevent the crust from shrinking while it bakes.)
- 3Bake in the middle of the oven until golden and firm to the touch, about 15 to 17 minutes; cool in pan on a rack.
NOTE: Using a 9 X 13-inch pan, I baked for 20 minutes.
- 8FOR THE GARISH:
Melt chocolate in a double boiler or a metal bowl set over a saucepan of barely simmering water; stir until smooth.
- 10Once cooled; cut into 36 bars and serve.