Cookie Jigsaw - Dee Dee's
Diane Hopson Smith
I've not tried it yet but I think its going to be a big hit for my family.
·lightweight cardboard or sturdy paper for pattern template
3/4 c(1 1/2 cup) butter or margarine, softened
2 tspvanilla extract
2 1/2 call purpose flour
1 1/2 tspbaking powder
3/4 clight corn syrup
·assorted decorations: green, red, white, yellow and blue sugar crystals; chocolate sprinkles; multicolor, white, and star-shaped candy decors; and small round yellow candies
How to Make Cookie Jigsaw - Dee Dee's
- 1. On cardboard or paper, draw a Christmas-tree template 10 inches high (from tip of tree to top of trunk) and 10 1/2 inches wide (at base of tree above trunk), with a 1-inch high by 2-inch wide trunk. Cut out template and set aside.
- 2. In large bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat butter and sugar until creamy. Beat in egg, milk, and vanilla until well blended (mixture may look curdled). On waxed paper, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. At low speed, beat in flour mixture just until blended. Pat dough into a small rectangle.
- 3. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour large cookie sheet. Place dough in center of cookie sheet. With floured rolling pin, roll dough into 13" by 11" rectangle. Bake 15 minutes.
- 4. Place cookie sheet on wire rack; center tree template lengthwise on warm cookie. With knife, cut around template into cookie; remove template, leaving tree outline. Press floured 1 1/2-inch star-shaped cookie cutter into cookie at top of tree; remove cutter, leaving star outline. Press floured 1-inch round cookie cutters into tree in several places, leaving ornament outlines. Press 2 1/2-inch star cutter into remaining cookie around tree, leaving star outlines.
- 5. Cut Christmas tree into various geometric-shaped puzzle pieces, being careful not to cut into ornament outlines. Cut remaining cookie around tree into puzzle pieces, being careful not to cut into star outlines.
- 6. Return cookie sheet to oven and bake 12 to 14 minutes longer or until cookie is light brown. Set cookie sheet on wire rack; cut through all designs and pieces. Cool cookie puzzle on cookie sheet 10 minutes. Carefully slide puzzle, in 1 piece, onto wire rack; cool completely.
- 7. To decorate: In 1-quart saucepan, heat corn syrup to boiling over medium heat, stirring frequently. Boil 1 minute, stirring. Remove round ornament pieces from tree; brush tree and trunk with corn syrup. Sprinkle tree with green sugar crystals to coat, then attach small round yellow candies as desired. Sprinkle or dip trunk into chocolate sprinkles. Brush ornament pieces with corn syrup; sprinkle or dip into choice of colored sugar crystals or decors. Remove star decorations from around tree; brush with corn syrup and sprinkle or dip into yellow sugar crystals. Brush puzzle pieces around tree with corn syrup; sprinkle with blue sugar crystals to coat, then sprinkle lightly with white decors and stars. Reheat corn syrup if it becomes too thick.
- 8. Allow puzzle pieces to dry completely, about 1 hour. When pieces are dry, reassemble puzzle on large tray to serve, or store puzzle in tightly covered container at room temperature up to 1 week.