"COCONUT WASHBOARDS" by Freda
Note; This dough must be well chilled before these cookies are shaped.
appear lengthy, but just step by step. Don't let them scare you. Really are Not that difficult, & very rewarding.
- 2 C
- sifted all purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp
- double acting baking pdr.
- 1/4 tsp
- 1/8 tsp
- 1 stk
- 1/4 lb butter (room temp)
- 1/2 tsp
- pure vanilla extract
- 1 C
- light brown sugar
- lg egg
- 2 TBS
- 1 C
- (firmly packed) shredded coconut
COCONUT WASHBOARD COOKIES
How to Make "COCONUT WASHBOARDS" by Freda
- 1preheat oven 375
adjust oven racks into 3rds.
- 2Sift together
1st 4 ingredients, set aside.
- 3Cream Butter, Beat in Vanilla
ADD Brn Sgr. and beat well.
ADD egg, & water, the mixture will appear curdled, that's ok.
- 4On low speed, gradually blend dry ingredients. beat only til combined.
stir in coconut.
- 5cut a piece of wax paper to fit the cookie sheet.
Use heaping teaspoon of the dough for each cookie. (remember these are large) place them close to each other on the wax paper, forming 24 mounds. Slide cookie sheet under wax paper, transfer to freezer or refer to chill until fir enough to handle.
NOTE:(if in freezer watch carefully they should not be frozen solid)
cut alluminum foil to fit cookie sheet. have some flour ready to flour hands, and a fork.
- 7Flour your hands, pick up a mound, and roll it between your palms, into a sausage shape about 3" long.
Place on foil, continue shapping remaining mounds of dough, placing 3" apart. (NO CLOSER)
- 8flour your finger tips with one hand, and with finger tips flatten each sausage-shaped roll until they are 1/4" thick, 3 1/2" long by 2" wide.
- 9Now to form the traditional ridges, that gibe these cookies their name:
dip a fork into the flour & press the back of the tines, forming deep indentations. Since the cookies are so large it will be necessary to press the fork 4 times.once for each quarter of the cookie surface.
the ridges should be parrallel, and go lengthwise with the cookie.
- 10Slide cookie sheet under the foil.
BAKE cookies 12 min. reversing the sheets top to bottom, and turning front to back, once, to insure even browning, now bake til golden brown all over.
(DO NOT UNDERBAKE) if only using a single baking sheet at a tme, use the high rack.
- 11Let cookies stand in pcookie sheet 3-5 min before removing with wide metal spatula transfer to cooling rack. . . . baking approx 20 min total time.
Makes 24, X-LARGE COOKIES.