- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) granulated white sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups (720 ml) sweetened dried coconut (shredded or flaked) i used flaked
- 4 ounces (115 grams) semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon shortenening or butter
How to Make Coconut Macaroons
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- 2In a large bowl whisk the eggs until well beaten. Whisk in the sugar, salt, and vanilla extract. Finally, stir in the dried coconut, making sure that all the coconut is thoroughly moistened.
- 3Place small mounds (about 1 tablespoon) (I use a small ice cream scoop) of the batter on the parchment-lined baking sheet, spacing several inches apart. If desired, place a small chunk of chocolate in the center of each cookie. Bake for about 14 to 18 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool. Then dip or spread the bottoms of each macaroon with the melted chocolate. Place the macaroons, chocolate side down, on a parchment lined baking sheet. Refrigerate the cookies for about 15-30 minutes, or until the chocolate hardens. Can be covered and stored for several days at room temperature or in the refrigerator.
- 4Chocolate Coating: Place the chopped chocolate and shortening in a microwaveable bowl. Melt in the microwave (or over a saucepan of simmering water). Let cool to room temperature before using.
Makes about 24 Macaroons.