- 6 3/4 ounces flour, more for rolling, about 1 1/2 cups
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon table salt
- 1/4 pound unsalted butter, completely softened at room temperature, 1/2 cup
- 3/4 cup sugar
- one large egg
- 1 teaspoon packed finely grated orange zest
How to Make Clove snaps
- 1in a bowl, sift together the flour, cloves, cinnamon, pepper and salt. With an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter at medium speed until light and fluffy, about two minutes. Add the sugar and blend just until mixed. Scrape the bowl well. Add the egg and orange zest and mix until well blended, scraping the bowl as needed.
- 2Position racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven and heat the oven to 375°. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
- 3On lightly floured surface, roll the dough 1/8 inch thick, making sure that it isn't sticking to the surface and that it rolls out evenly, lightly sprinkling flour under the dough if needed. With a 2 inch round or similar sized cookie cutter, stamp out shapes. Reroll the scraps and stamp out more. Set the cookies 1/2 inch apart on the baking sheets. Bake until the cookies are Golden around the edges and on the bottoms, about 12 minutes, rotating the baking sheets as needed for even baking. Let the cookies cool completely on the baking sheets on rack. Store in airtight containers. Makes about three dozen cookies.