Chocolate-Dipped Pecan Shortbread Cookies
- 3/4 lb
- (3 sticks) regular, salted butter at room temperature
- 1 c
- 1/2 tsp
- 3 1/2 c
- all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp
- vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp
- almond extract
- 2 c
- chopped pecans (reserve 1/2 cup)
- 12 oz pkg
- semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 c
- sliced almonds, toasted
- 1/2 c
- toffee pieces (heath bar chopped finely)
How to Make Chocolate-Dipped Pecan Shortbread Cookies
- 1I suggest using a Kitchenaid (or other brand) stand mixer with a paddle attachment as this is a VERY stiff dough -- I don't suggest mixing it by hand ...either your hand will wear out or the wooden spoon will break.
- 2Cream together sugar and butter--just until combined.
- 3Add extracts and stir into butter/sugar mixture.
- 4In separate bowl, whisk flour and salt together.
- 5Add flour/salt mix to butter/sugar mix, a little at a time.
- 6Add chopped pecans to dough and THOROUGHLY incorporate them. (I chopped them by hand).
- 7Place reserved 1/2 cup of pecans in separate bowl.
- 8Divide dough into 4 equal pieces. By hand, roll each piece into a log (about 2-3 inches in diameter). Wrap each log, snugly, with plastic wrap and chill in refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- 9Preheat oven to 350 F (175 C).
- 10Remove plastic wrap from dough log and slice into 3/8-inch - 1/2-inch thick slices.
- 11Place sliced dough onto UNGREASED parchment-paper lined cookie sheet about 1/2 inch apart.
- 12Bake for 15-20 minutes until edges are golden brown and center is cooked but NOT browned (see photo above).
- 13After baking, gently transfer to cooling rack (they're VERY fragile at this stage), and cool completely. Once cooled, they are quite sturdy.
- 14In microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate morsels (in 30-second increments, stirring after each increment)
- 15Spread reserved, chopped pecans (or, if desired, sliced almonds) onto cookie sheet and return to oven for 5-10 min. until toasted. Watch them carefully so they don't burn. Then, place them in a bowl.
- 16Coat cooled cookies 1/2-way with melted chocolate (front, back, and sides)--scraping off excess.
- 17Roll chocolate-dipped cookies in toasted pecan pieces. Alternately, you can use sliced almonds, or crushed toffee pieces (Heath or Skor bars)...or, leave them plain or just dipped in chocolate if you like. When coated, return cookies to cooling rack to set.
- 18Chill chocolate-dipped cookies for 20-30 min. in fridge to set chocolate before serving.
- 19Store in airtight container (if you have any left).