Chocolate Chip Meringue Cookies
- 2 large
- egg whites, room temperature
- 1/2 tsp
- cream of tartar
- 2/3 c
- superfine granulated sugar
- 1 tsp
- vanilla extract
- 1 c
- semisweet chocolate chips or finely chopped semisweet chocolate
- 1 c
- finely chopped walnuts
How to Make Chocolate Chip Meringue Cookies
- 1Preheat oven to 350 .
- 2Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- 3In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat egg whites until foamy.
- 4Add the cream of tartar and beat until fluffy but not at all dry. (Be careful not to over beat.)
- 5Add the sugar gradually, about 3 tablespoons at a time
- 6When 1/2 of the sugar has been added, add the vanilla extract.
- 7Continue beating and adding remaining sugar in batches, until all of the sugar is dissolved and the meringue is very shiny and tight.
- 8Gently fold in the chocolate chips and chopped nuts.
- 9Working one teaspoon at a time, push a teaspoon of meringue from the tip of 1 teaspoon with the back of another teaspoon onto the lined baking sheets, leaving 1-inch of space between cookies.
- 10Place baking sheets in the preheated oven and turn the oven off.
- 11Leave the cookies (undisturbed) in the oven for at least 2 hours and up to overnight, or until cookies are crisp and dry.