Chocolate Chip Meringue Cookies
2 largeegg whites, room temperature
1/2 tspcream of tartar
2/3 csuperfine granulated sugar
1 tspvanilla extract
1 csemisweet chocolate chips or finely chopped semisweet chocolate
1 cfinely chopped walnuts
How to Make Chocolate Chip Meringue Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 .
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat egg whites until foamy.
- Add the cream of tartar and beat until fluffy but not at all dry. (Be careful not to over beat.)
- Add the sugar gradually, about 3 tablespoons at a time
- When 1/2 of the sugar has been added, add the vanilla extract.
- Continue beating and adding remaining sugar in batches, until all of the sugar is dissolved and the meringue is very shiny and tight.
- Gently fold in the chocolate chips and chopped nuts.
- Working one teaspoon at a time, push a teaspoon of meringue from the tip of 1 teaspoon with the back of another teaspoon onto the lined baking sheets, leaving 1-inch of space between cookies.
- Place baking sheets in the preheated oven and turn the oven off.
- Leave the cookies (undisturbed) in the oven for at least 2 hours and up to overnight, or until cookies are crisp and dry.