Chocolate Caramel Brownies
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
18.25-oz pkggerman chocolate cake mix (15oz size cake mix is ok, if it's all you can find)
3/4 cupunsalted butter, melted
1 cupchopped nuts (i prefer hazelnuts, but you can use walnuts, pecans or almonds)
8-oz canevaporated milk, divided (2/3 cup + 1/3 cup)
1 (10-oz) pkgcaramels (wrappers removed, if individually wrapped)
6-oz pkgchocolate chips, any kind (it's about 1 to 1 1/4 cups)
How to Make Chocolate Caramel Brownies
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly butter or spray a 9x13 baking dish.
- In a medium size bowl, mix together the cake mix, butter, nuts, and 2/3 cup evaporated milk. Pour half of the batter into baking pan, and bake for 12 minutes.
- While base layer is baking, melt caramels in a heavy-duty saucepan, stirring frequently to prevent scorching. When caramels are melted, stir in remaining 1/3 cup evaporated milk; set aside.
- Remove cake from the oven (but don't let it cool). Immediately, while cake is still hot, sprinkle the chocolate chips in an even layer on top of the baked cake layer. Stir the milky caramel mixture so it's thin enough to pour. Then pour the caramel mixture on top, covering as much of chocolate chip layer as possible. Drop spoonfuls of the remaining cake batter on top of the caramel layer.
- Return baking dish to oven and bake for 26 to 30 more minutes, or until the top layer is baked and the chocolate chips have melted. Cool completely before cutting into 24 bars (6 vertical rows x 4 horizontal rows).