★★★★★ 2 votes5
3/4 cbutter flavor shortening
1 1/4 clight brown sugar - firmly packed
1 1/2 tspvanilla
3 cquick oats
1 call purpose flour
1/2 tspbaking soda
1 cwalnuts, coarsely chopped
How to Make Chewy Oatmeal Cookie
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease baking sheet with butter flavored shortening.
- Combine shortening, light brown sugar, egg, milk and vanilla in large bowl.
- Beat at medium speed of electric mixer until well blended.
- Combine oats, flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- Mix into creamed mixture at low speed just until blended.
- Stir in raisins and nuts and drop rounded tablespoonfuls of dough 2 inches apart onto baking sheet.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Cool 2 minutes on baking sheet.
- Remove to kitchen counter--makes about 2 1/2 dozen cookies.
- VARIATIONS: HALF-DIPPED COOKIES-Omit raisins and nuts.
- Bake and cool.
- Microwave 1 cup Dutch Fudge Frosting for 20-25 seconds, or until smooth and thin.
- Dip top half of cookie in frosting and lay on waxed paper until set.
- FAVORITE CHIP COOKIES - Omit raisins and nuts.
- Add 1 cup baking chips to batter and bake and cool.
- MAPLE WALNUT COOKIES - Omit raisins.
- Add 1-1/2 teaspoon maple flavoring to batter and bake and cool.
- Frost top of cooled cookie with mixture of 1 container Vanilla Layer Cake Frosting and 1 teaspoon maple flavoring and garnish with walnut half.