They are very tasty - a soft cookie with the crunch of cornflakes on the outside.
The dates and cherries taste great and make the cookies look pretty.
My mother used to make them and when I was a young child, it was my job to place the cherry on top!
These are still a family favorite and my children now help make them, too!
- 2 2/3 c
- corn flakes
- 2 tsp
- baking powder
- 1 c
- 3/4 c
- margarine, softened
- 2 1/4 c
- 1/2 tsp
- 2 Tbsp
- 1 tsp
- 1 c
- dates, chopped
- 1/2 c
- maraschino cherries, finely chopped
- maraschino cherries, quartered
How to Make Cherry Winks
- 1Measure cornflakes and crush to 1 1/2 cups, set aside.
- 2Stir together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- 3In large mixing bowl, beat margarine and sugar until light & fluffy. Add eggs and beat well. Stir in milk and vanilla. Add flour mixture and mix until well combined. Stir in chopped dates and chopped cherries.
- 4Shape dough into walnut-size balls. Roll in cornflakes. Place on greased baking sheet and top each cookie with cherry quarter.
- 5Bake in oven at 375 degrees for approximately 10 minutes. Cool on wire rack.