Cherry oatmeal bars from The Fat Witch Bakery
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, 1 1/2 sticks
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups quick cooking oats
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup dried cherries, packed
- 1/3 cup nuts, such as cashews, coarsely chopped, optional
How to Make Cherry oatmeal bars from The Fat Witch Bakery
- 1grease a 9 x 9" baking pan with butter. Dust with flour and tap out the excess. Preheat the oven to 350°.
Melt the butter in a small pan over low heat, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and let cool for five minutes. Stir in the vanilla and mix well.
- 2In a large bowl, mix the oats, flour, sugar, salt, and cinnamon together with a wooden spoon, flattening any lumps. Pour in the melted butter mixture and mix until well incorporated. Stir in the cherries and continue mixing, adding nuts if desired.
- 3Spread the dough evenly in the bottom of the prepared baking pan, using your hands to Down.
Bake for 30 minutes or until the top is Golden Brown and the edges are starting to pull away from the sides of the pan.
Remove from the oven and cool on a rack for one hour. Cut just before serving. Makes 12 to 16 bars.