Cherry Hideaway Cookies
★★★★★ 2 votes5
- 1 c
- 1/2 c
- unbeaten egg yolk
- 2 1/2 c
- 1 tsp
- each: of grated orange rind,and vanilla or almond extract
- 1 jar(s)
- 10 oz size,of maraschino cherries,juice drained and no stems
How to Make Cherry Hideaway Cookies
- 1Preheat oven to 350.
Mix as per usual for cookies-cream the butter and the sugar.Add the egg yolk,the extract of your choice and the orange rind.Mix together then blend in flour.Put the cherries in a bowl and gently pat dry.
- 2Once the dough is mixed,take about a walnut size piece of the dough and flatten it out in the palm of your hand.Place a cherry in the center of it and wrap dough around the cherry with your other hand,all while forming a ball (or even a bell!).The dough can be fussy at this point,as cherries try to pop out,but talk nicely to it-they're worth it!
- 3If you wish,you can dip or roll the cookie in colored sugar or just the tip,all before you bake it.Or you can pre color the dough green or red also for the holidays!
- 4Place on an UNgreased cookie sheet for about 15-20 min's,but do watch them after 15 so they dont burn.
Transfer to a cooling rack when done.