Cherry Almond Turnover Cookies
·2 cups flour
·2 tbsp. sugar
·1/2 tsp. salt
·8 oz. cream cheee, softened
·2 sticks unsalted butter, softened, 16 tbsp.
·1 1/2 tsp. pure almond extract, divided
·1 egg, beaten with 1 tsp. water
·1/2 cup cherry preserves
·1/2 cup powdered sugar
·1 to 2 tbsp. heavy cream
How to Make Cherry Almond Turnover Cookies
- Mix flour, sugar, and salt in a bowl. Beat cream cheese, butter and 1/2 tsp. almond extract in large bowl with hand mixer til fluffy, 1 minute. Add flour mixture and beat just to mix. Divide dough in half, form each half into a disk, and wrap in plastic wrap. chill 1 hour or up to 1 day.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll dough on lightly floured work surface to 1/8 inch thick. Using a 3 inch round cookie cutter, cut cookies; transfer to prepared baking sheets. Reroll scraps once.
- Drop 1/2 tsp. preserves in center of each cookie, brush edges with egg wash, fold over filling and seal with a fork. Freeze cookies 1 hour. Preheat oven to 350.
- Brush cookies with egg wash and prick center with a fork. Bake cookies, one baking sheet at a time, til golden, 12 to 15 minutes; let cool on racks.
- Whisk together powdered sugar, heavy cream and 1 tsp. almond extract. Drizzle cookies with glaze.
Note: I was thinking of making these with orange marmalade and orange extract in place of the cherry preserves and almond extract. Just a thought.