These bar cookies remind me of cheesecake but not quite. The walnuts and brown sugar give it a different taste.
It makes a small 8x8 batch but you can easily double it for a 13x11 pan.
- 1/3 c
- 1/3 c
- brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 c
- 1/2 c
- walnuts, chopped
- 1/4 c
- 1 8oz pkg
- cream cheese, softened
- egg, beaten
- 2 Tbsp
- 1 Tbsp
- lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp
How to Make Cheesecake Bars
- 1Cream butter and sugar until light.
- 2Add flour and chopped walnuts. Cream with a spoon until mixture forms crumbs. Set aside 1 cup of mixture for topping.
- 3Press remaining mixture into an ungreased 8x8 pan.
- 4Bake in a moderate oven (350) 12 to 15 minutes. Set pan on a rack to cool.
- 5Combine white sugar and cream cheese. Beat until smooth. Add milk, lemon juice and vanilla. Beat thoroughly to mix. Spread evenly over baked crumbs.
- 6Sprinkle reserved crumbs evenly over top.
- 7Bake in a moderate oven (350) 25 to 30 minutes. Set pan on a rack to cool. Cut in 2x1 inch bars and store in refrigerator. Cookies are perishable and must be kept in refrigerator until eaten. Makes 32.