Candy Cane Cookies
How to Make Candy Cane Cookies
- preheat oven to 350
- Cream butter, shortening and sugar.
- add egg and extracts.
- Add dry ingredients. Separate dough evenly into two bowls and using red food coloring, tint half of dough to desired shade of red.
- Take a walnut sized piece of red dough and a walnut sized piece of white dough. Separately, roll each color on a lightly floured surface, into a rope. Place the two ropes side by side, gently press together, and twist the two ropes to form a spiral and then shape each cookie into a cane shape by bending one end into a hook shape. Place the cookies on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake 8-9 minutes until browned.
- I often bake this cookie without making the candy cane shape. I make them round and then do the criss cross with the tines of a fork that you often see on peanut butter cookies and sprinkle with colored sugar!