Butterscotch Bar Cookies
Ruth Ann Vokac13
Wrap these individually and freeze if one batch is more than you can use in a week.
How to Make Butterscotch Bar Cookies
- 1Heat oven to 350 degrees.
Prepare a 9" x 12" baking dish by greasing with Crisco.
- 2In a heavy sauce pan, perhaps one in which you can use a hand mixer, cook butter and brown sugar over low heat until bubbly, stirring constantly. Let cool for 5 to 10 minutes.
- 3If you cannot use mixer beaters in your sauce pan, pour sugar/butter mixture into a mixer bowl.
Add eggs one at a time and beat. (If the mixture is fairly hot, beat eggs immediately after adding them.)
- 4In a bowl, mix flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir to combine. Add to the butter/sugar mixture and mix to combine.
- 5Add coconut and nuts (if using). Mix in well.
Batter will be very stiff.
- 6Scrape batter into prepared baking dish. Use a knife to level batter in the pan. (Or pick up pan and slightly shake it from side to side.)
- 7Bake in preheated oven for 25-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- 8Let cool on a wire rack. After 5-10 minutes, cut into squares while brownies are still somewhat warm.