★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 1 lb
- real unsalted butter
- whole eggs
- 1/2 tsp
- 2 tsp
- baking powder
- 5 c
- all purpose flour
- 1/2 c
- milk, whole
- 1 Tbsp
- lemon rind, grated
- juice from 1 lemon
- ingredients for filling
- 5 c
- ground walnuts
- 1 c
- granulated sugar
- 1 c
- warm milk
- 1/4 c
- 1 tsp
- vanilla extract
How to Make BUTTER NUT HORN COOKIES
- 1Mix butter into dry ingredients until size of a pead.
Beat eggs and Add eggs,milk, and lemon rind.
- 2Pinch off a piece of dough and roll in palm of hand. Should be about the size of a walnut
You will get about 144 (12 doz)cookies.
- 3Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, to harden the butter a little.
- 4Remove about 2 dozen dough balls from the refrigerator at a time. Keep the rest in the frig. until ready to roll out and bake.
- 5Make nut filling. Put about 1/2 or the ground nuts in a 2-1/2 qt saucepan. Add about 1/2cup sugar and 1/2 cup of milk 1/2 stick margarine and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla.
Stir and add more nuts or more milk as needed to form a paste. Heat up on low.
- 6Roll a ball of the dough out using powdered sugar instead of flour to coat the rolling pin and board.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- 7Place a small amount, (the size a a baby's feeding spoon), in the center and roll up dough. don't roll too tightly.
Pinch ends to seal, shape like a crescent, and put on cookie sheet, seam side down.
- 8Bake 12-15 minutes, or until LIGHTLY BROWNED around the edges. Don't brown too much.
- 9Remove cookies from cookie sheet to cool. Sprinkle immediately with powdered sugar, and then again before serving.
- 10Some of the filling may run out. Just pinch off. You will learn how thick to make it. If too thin, add more nuts to the filling, if too thick, add more milk, a little at a time.
- 11They are a LOT of work, but they are delicious!!!!