★★★★★ 1 vote5
1 lbreal unsalted butter
2 tspbaking powder
5 call purpose flour
1/2 cmilk, whole
1 Tbsplemon rind, grated
·juice from 1 lemon
·ingredients for filling
5 cground walnuts
1 cgranulated sugar
1 cwarm milk
1 tspvanilla extract
How to Make BUTTER NUT HORN COOKIES
- Mix butter into dry ingredients until size of a pead.
Beat eggs and Add eggs,milk, and lemon rind.
- Pinch off a piece of dough and roll in palm of hand. Should be about the size of a walnut
You will get about 144 (12 doz)cookies.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, to harden the butter a little.
- Remove about 2 dozen dough balls from the refrigerator at a time. Keep the rest in the frig. until ready to roll out and bake.
- Make nut filling. Put about 1/2 or the ground nuts in a 2-1/2 qt saucepan. Add about 1/2cup sugar and 1/2 cup of milk 1/2 stick margarine and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla.
Stir and add more nuts or more milk as needed to form a paste. Heat up on low.
- Roll a ball of the dough out using powdered sugar instead of flour to coat the rolling pin and board.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Place a small amount, (the size a a baby's feeding spoon), in the center and roll up dough. don't roll too tightly.
Pinch ends to seal, shape like a crescent, and put on cookie sheet, seam side down.
- Bake 12-15 minutes, or until LIGHTLY BROWNED around the edges. Don't brown too much.
- Remove cookies from cookie sheet to cool. Sprinkle immediately with powdered sugar, and then again before serving.
- Some of the filling may run out. Just pinch off. You will learn how thick to make it. If too thin, add more nuts to the filling, if too thick, add more milk, a little at a time.
- They are a LOT of work, but they are delicious!!!!