Browned Butter Snickerdoodles
I will admit, unfortunately, the original idea isn't mine, I did see it somewhere else...But I did use and adjust my own snickerdoodle recipe to make these delicious bites of happiness!
Warning: Do Not Taste Test the dough! Or you may end up not baking them! lol This dough is fantastic!!!
- 3/4 c
- 1/4 c
- *butter flavor shortening
- 1 1/2 c
- 2 1/2 c
- all purpose flour
- 2 tsp
- cream of tartar
- 1 tsp
- baking soda
- 1/2 tsp
- sea salt
- 1/4 c
- 1 1/2 tsp
- cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice (my favorite)
How to Make Browned Butter Snickerdoodles
- 1Start by browning your butter, place butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Melt and allow to simmer swirling the pan occasionally. It will get really foamy, keep swirling or stirring and as you swirl it, it will foam up, you'll notice the center rising up a deeper brown color after each swirl or stir. When the high foam subsides back down to a low foam. It will smell nutty and have brown bits on the bottom. It is done. Then you want this to cool to room temp. I always put in a bowl and place in refrigerator to speed up the process. Don't let it return to a solid state though.
- 2When browned butter is cool. Preheat oven to 350.
In the mixing bowl of a mixer, place browned butter, shortening and sugar. Beat until smooth and creamy. Add eggs and beat again. Add flour, cream of tartar, soda and salt. Mix until it comes together and it will, be patient. (Unless of course you do like I did once and forget to add the eggs...then it won't come together...lol)
- 3In a small bowl mix together 1/4 c sugar and 1 1/2tsp cinnamon. Roll 1 1/2" balls, then roll in sugar cinnamon mixture, place on ungreased cookie sheets, press slightly with bottom of glass and bake for 9-10 minutes. They will begin to crack slightly when done. Do not over bake.
- 4***you could use 1 c of butter and eliminate the shortening if you choose, using all butter will make for a crisper texture, where the shortening adds softness.