Brown Family Butter Cookies
How to Make Brown Family Butter Cookies
- 1FOR COOKIES:
Beat butter and sugar until fluffy.
- 2Separate 3 of the eggs. Add the three eggs yolks and the other whole egg to butter/sugar mixture. Refrigerate egg whites.
- 3Add vanilla. Beat until well mixed.
- 4Stir in flour gradually until well mixed.
- 5Shape dough into ball, wrap in waxed paper. Chill 3 hours.
- 6Preheat oven to 350°. Grease cookie sheets. Divide dough into 4 equal parts. Roll dough out 1/4 at a time on lightly floured surface to 3/8 inch thickness. Cut with floured cookie cutters. Space on cookie sheet 2" apart.
- 7Lightly beat the three egg whites, brush on cookies. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes, until edges are lightly browned. Cool on wire rack.
- 8FOR DECORATOR'S ICING:
Beat sugar, egg whites and cream of tartar in bowl on low speed until a knife drawn through icing leaves a clear path, about 7 minutes. Keep unused icing covered with a damp cloth while decorating cookies. Note: Follow directions on the carton of egg whites to determine how much equals 3. Pasteurized egg whites are safer to use for icing.
- 9You can tint this icing any color you'd like with food coloring meant for icing. You can outline your design first using a pastry bag, then flood to fill in with icing that you've added 1-2 teaspoons water to. A plastic bottle works best for flooding. Have fun!