★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 1 c
- all purpose flour
- 1/2 - 3/4 c
- brown sugar, firmly packed, dark brown
- 2 tsp
- baking powder
- 1/2 stick
- butter, cold
- 3 oz
- eggs, about 2 x-large
- 2 tsp
- pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp
- almond extract
- 2 oz
- almonds, blanched = 1/4 cup
How to Make Biscotti
- 1350* oven
- 2Combine flour, sugar, baking powder.
Slice very cold butter into flour mix.
Using a fork mix together until evenly crumbly.
- 3Using a spoon stir in egg whites, and vanilla, and almond extracts.
- 4Fold in 1 ounce = 1/8 C of the nuts.
- 5FLOUR YOUR HANDS & the counter.
- 6Roll dough into logs 1 inch in diameter.
- 7Press 2nd ounce ( 1/8 c.) of almonds on top of logs OR
pick up each log & press into almonds on one side only.
You can bake them as whole logs---
I slice each log into diagonal pieces now.
This way you get the crunch w/ one baking time!
- 8Place onto baking sheet.
Leave space for logs or cookies to expand.
Use parchment paper on top of baking sheet before placing cookies.
Makes cleanup easier!
- 9Bake 20 minutes if pre sliced into small cookies
30 minutes if left as whole logs.
Cool 10 minutes.
- 10If you baked them in log form - slice on the diagonal.
This is quite messy.
- 11If you baked them as logs,
clear off small broken pieces of nuts
& return to oven for 10 additional minutes.
Biscotti should be a HARD crunchy cookie, not soft.