★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 1 c
- butter, no substitute, softened
- 1/2 c
- 1 tsp
- 2 c
- 1/4 c
How to Make Basic White Sugar Shortbread Cookies
- 1Preheat oven to 300°F. Mix butter, sugar and vanilla thoroughly using an electric mixer. Gradually blend in flour and corn starch.
- 2Form into 1-inch balls and place on ungreased baking sheets. Gently press down on each cookie to flatten using fingers or a flat bottomed drinking glass (dipped in sugar to prevent sticking).
- 3Bake at 300ºF for 25 to 30 minutes, or until bottoms begin to brown. Cool for 5 minutes; remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 4RECIPE NOTE: For European-style shortbread, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth, about 2 minutes. Pat into a 1/3-inch thick rectangle measuring 11 x 8-inches. Cut into 2 x 1-inch strips. Place 1-inch apart on ungreased baking sheets. Prick with a fork. Bake as above.