Apricot Shortbread Bars
I'm sorry the picture is not so good, it looked better in the view finder. :)
But these bars are beautiful and delicious.
- 1/2 c
- butter, softened
- 1/2 c
- light brown sugar, packed
- 1 c
- all purpose flour
- 3/4 c
- dried chopped apricots
- 1 tsp
- lemon peel, grated
- 2/3 c
- 2 tsp
- 1/3 c
- slivered almonds
- dusting of powdered sugar
How to Make Apricot Shortbread Bars
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
For shortbread: In mixer bowl, with mixer on low speed, combine butter and brown sugar. Mix in flour. Pat this mixture in the bottom of an 8 inch square pan to make a nice even shortbead crust.
Bake for 12 minutes or until a light golden brown color. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- 2Meanwhile make filling: Chop apricots or cut them into small pieces with kitchen scissors. Put apricots in a small saucepan with just enough water to cover them. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
Drain apricots, reserving 3 tablespoons of the liquid. Put apricots back in pan with reserved liquid, lemon peel, sugar, and cornstarch. Bring to a boil and boil for 1 minute. Set aside to cool.
- 3When both filling and shortbread are cool pour filling over crust and spread evenly. Sprinkle with nuts and bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and dust very lightly with powdered sugar.
Cool completely on a wire rack before cutting.