Apricot bars From The Fat Witch Bakery
My father in law loved apricots, as do a couple of my good friends.Source: the Fat Witch Bakery
·3/4 cup dried apricots, tightly packed
·8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened to room temperature, one stick
·1/3 cup sugar
·1 1/4 cups unbleached flour
·two large eggs
·1 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar
·1/2 teaspoon baking powder
·1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
·1/4 teaspoons salt
How to Make Apricot bars From The Fat Witch Bakery
- grease a 9 x 9" baking pan with butter. Dust with flour. Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Put the apricots in a small pan with just enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, then cover and simmer until apricots are soft, about 15 minutes. Drain and finely chop the apricots, then set aside.
- Meanwhile, beat the butter and sugar together until creamy. Measure the flour and sift it directly into the butter mixture and stir until well mixed. The mixture will now be crumbly.
- With your hands, Pat the dough evenly into the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake 20 minutes or until the crust is Golden.
- While the crust bakes, mix the eggs, Brown sugar, baking powder, vanilla, and salt until well incorporated. Drop in the apricots and stir by hand.
Pour the apricot mixture over the baked crust. Return the pan to the oven and bake for another 30 minutes or until the top is Golden Brown.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a rack for 1 1/2 hours. Makes 12 to 16 bars.