Almond Joy Macaroon Cookies
Picture my own, taken 2/2/2012
3 csweet shredded coconut (do not pack down)
2 tspalmond extract
·whole almonds...1-2 per cookie
1 csemi sweet chocolate chips or milk chocolate whichever you prefer
2 Tbspvegetable oil
How to Make Almond Joy Macaroon Cookies
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Prepare cookie sheets by lining them with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Combine egg whites, sugar, coconut and almond extract in one heat proof bowl (I used pyrex) and set it over a few inches of simmering water (basically a double boiler). Stir mixture with wooden spoon making sure to scrape the bottom to prevent burning. Continue heating and stirring until mixture and the egg whites have thickened about 8-10 minutes. Mixture is ready when a scoop placed on cookie sheet will hold its shape without a puddle of syrup forming around it.
- Now take a measuring Tablespoon and scoop a full tablespoon onto the parchment paper about 2" apart of each cookie, (I only got 20 cookies because I filled the Tablespoon pretty good)and place one to two almonds on top. Bake for about 20 minutes watching carefully so that you don't burn the edges. The edges should turn a golden brown and the top part of the cookie should have golden brown on the tips..
- When done... remove cookies once they are slightly cooled from the parchment paper onto a cooling rack or waxed paper as I have done...when cooled completely drizzle with Chocolate mixture.
- Chocolate mixture for topping: In a heavy saucepan put 1 cup of chocolate chip morsels along with 2 T. vegetable oil over low heat until chocolate is melted..stir to combine with the vegetable oil. Drizzle or cover the entire top of the cookie with this chocolate. Cool completely so the chocolate sets up nicely, this takes a while for the chocolate to set up several hours, so don't get discouraged, and now enjoy! These cookies will store well up to 5 days.