1-2-3 Easiest Kolachy
Traditional Polish cookie our family makes for Thanksgiving, Christmas & Easter. Family & extended family request this well in advance of the holidays, they remind me of their favorite flavors!
My husband Ron Neinast, use to have me make these cookies for all of his pot lucks and parties at the hospital he worked at. Every year I had to make more than the year before! Last time, was over 500! They were all gone in 40 minutes!
Play With Your Food! xo
- 1 c
- sour cream
- 2 c
- 3 Tbsp
- 1 can(s)
- (15 ounces) blueberry, cherry, or lemon, pie filling
- apricot, poppy seed, almond filling
- strawberry or raspberry jams work too
- powdered sugar (for sifting on top)
- coare white or sparkling white sugar
TOPPING OR COATING
How to Make 1-2-3 Easiest Kolachy
- 3Roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thick on a lightly floured surface. Either cut into desired size squares or use a round cutter. Place cut out dough onto an UNGREASED baking sheet. Gently press an indention in the center of each cut out. Put 1/2 to 1 teaspoon filling in each indentation. Bake at 350 degrees for about 7-10 minutes (depending on your oven) or until the bottom of the cookies are a light golden brown.
*** If making the dough into squares, after adding filling: take two opposite corners of the dough and pinch together forming a little basket with handle before baking. (they are easier to plate and store this way). Or just fold one corner over the opposite corner which makes them look like babies in a blanket.
When cookies are done baking:
Place cookies close together on wax paper. Sift powdered sugar on top. Or use Coarse White Sugar or Sparkling White Sugar (they look like diamonds the way they sparkle. You can buy at some grocery stores, or order online, or go to a bakery supply store.). Let cool. Store in airtight containers in refrigerator.
- 4***These cookies can be frozen on baking sheets and then stored in containers with additional powdered sugar and wax paper between each layer. (After thawing completely...just before serving: sift additional powdered sugar over cookies to "refresh" them.
*** favorite fillings: poppyseed, almond, prune, lemon, cherry, strawberry and blueberry. I also use raspberry jam and apricot jam.
*** you can make 1-1/2 inch to 4 inch cookies (adjust your fillings accordingly).