After much deliberation, I came up with my own version of Zuppe Inglese which translates to "English Soup" in Italian.
This is an easy no-bake recipe that is sure to wow your friends and family.
- 3 pkg
- ladyfingers sponge cakes, split open
- 1 qt
- fresh heavy whipping cream
- 2 tsp
- vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp
- granulated white sugar or splenda
- 1 jar(s)
- maraschino cherries with juice reserved
- 1 pkg
- vanilla instant or sugar free vanilla pudding mix. i use the small box.
- 2 c
- low fat milk
- maraschino cherries, drained (for decoration)
- 1/4 c
- toasted slivered almonds, optional.
- 2 Tbsp
- grated dark chocolate, optional
- 3 oz
- white rum or 1 tsp. rum flavoring with 3 additional ounces of cherry or other fruit juice.
How to Make Zuppe Inglese
- 1Drain 1 jar (10-12 ounces) of maraschino cherries. Place the cherry juice in a measuring cup and add 3 ounces of white rum. You may use a tsp. of artificial rum flavoring and 3 additional ounces of cherry or other fruit juice if you don't wish to use rum. Marinate 12 cherries in the rum/cherry juice while you finish preparations.
- 2In a large, cold mixing bowl, add 1 qt. of heavy cream, sugar or splenda and the vanilla. Whip on high for 2 minutes or until soft peaks form. Set aside.
- 3In a medium mixing bowl, prepare one small package of instant vanilla or sugar free vanilla pudding with 2 cups of milk. Beat with electric mixer until thickened. Fold 1 cup of the whipped cream into the pudding mixture and set aside.
- 4Place one layer of ladyfingers (split side up) in the bottom and standing up around the sides of a 8x8 inch baking pan or disposable pan. Drizzle 1/4 of the reserved cherry/rum juice over the ladyfingers evenly.
- 5Top the ladyfingers with 1/3 of the yellow pudding mixture. Add a small layer of whipped cream to top the custard.
- 6Add 2 more layers of the ladyfingers, cherry/rum juice and custard. Finish with final layer of ladyfingers, cherry/rum juice and remaining whipped cream in a decorative pattern. Top with the 12 marinated cherries. OPTIONAL: Sprinkle top with slivered, toasted almonds or shaved dark chocolate.
- 7Cover and refrigerate overnight or at least 8 hours.
Serves 8 people.