Toffee Bars from the Fat Witch Bakery
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 3 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- two large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoons salt
How to Make Toffee Bars from the Fat Witch Bakery
- 1grease a 9 x 9" baking pan with butter. Dust with flour. Preheat oven to 350°.
To make the crust, cream together the butter and light Brown sugar until smooth. Measure the flour and sift directly into the butter mixture, mixing gently until well combined. Add the milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, and mix until well blended.
- 2Press the dough evenly into prepared baking pan in a thin layer. Bake for 14 minutes or until the edges are starting to pull away from the sides of the pan. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- 3While the crust is cooling, make the topping. Cream together the dark Brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla until smooth. Measure the flour, baking powder, and salt and then sift together directly into the sugar mixture. Mix gently until well combined.
- 4Using a spatula, spread the topping evenly over the cooled crust. Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with only crumbs, not batter, on it.
Remove from the oven and let cool on a rack for at least one hour. Makes 12 to 18 bars.