Sweet n' Saltines
How to Make Sweet n' Saltines
- 1Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line large jelly roll pan with aluminum foil and then saltine crackers.
- 2In medium saucepan, melt the butter and brown sugar together and bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and pour over the crackers, covering them evenly. Put the pan of crackers in the oven and bake 4-5 minutes or until just bubbly. Watch closely.
- 3Remove from oven and sprinke chocolate chips over caramel. When the chips melt a bit, spread them evenly over the cracker/caramel mixture with a knife. If you choose to use finely chopped nuts, sprinkle them on top of the chocolate. We have even used finely chopped Skor candy bars.
- 4Transfer the pan to the freezer for 15-20 minutes or until completely cold. They will form one big sheet. Break up into pieces or shards and store in air tight container!
- 5You can substitute graham crackers for a sweeter snack. We have not tried this. For a crunchier snack you can reduce the butter to one stick instead of two. This recipe came from Home Cooking with Trisha Yearwood in the Nov. 2010 Issue of People Country.