- 6 (1-oz.) unsweetened chocolate baking squares
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoon unsalted butter, divided
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 4 teaspoons espresso powder, divided
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 tsp. kahlua, divided
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream or half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons vodka
- 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- garnish: chocolate-covered espresso coffee beans, chopped
How to Make Mudslide Brownies
- 1Melt 4 chocolate baking squares and 1/2 cup butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally.
Remove from heat, and transfer to a large bowl.
Add sugars; stir well. Stir in eggs, 2 teaspoon espresso powder, and 2 teaspoon Kahlua.
Add flour and salt, stirring until blended. Stir in pecans.
Spread batter into a lightly greased aluminum foil-lined 11" x 7" pan. Bake at 325° for 26 to 28 minutes or until brownies appear set on top.
Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
Melt remaining 2 chocolate baking squares and 2 Tbsp. butter in heavy saucepan, stirring occasionally.
Remove from heat; transfer to a medium bowl.
Stir in remaining 2 tsp. espresso powder, whipping cream, vodka, and remaining 2 Tbsp. Kahlua.
Add enough powdered sugar to make a good spreading consistency, beating at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth.
Spread frosting over cooled brownies; garnish, if desired.
Let stand until frosting is set.
- 2Use foil to lift uncut brownies out of the pan.
Cut into bars to serve.
Note: If you prefer not to add any alcohol to this dessert, you can use sweetened coffee instead of the Kahlua and omit the vodka.