Grandma's Devil's Food Cake
- 13/4 c
- sifted cake flour
- 1/2 tsp
- 1 tsp
- baking soda
- 1/2 c
- 2 large
- eggs, at room temperature
- 4 oz
- melted chocolate squares, unsweet
- 1 tsp
- pure vanilla extract
- 1 c
How to Make Grandma's Devil's Food Cake
- 1Sift flour, salt, and baking soda together.
- 2Cream shortening/butter and add sugar gradually. Cream until light and fluffy.
- 3Add eggs, beat well; add melted chocolate and vanilla and beat until thoroughly combined.
- 4Alternately add buttermilk with flour mixture. Beat until smooth.
- 5Divide batter evenly between 2 eight inch, greased and floured cake pans, (I like to dust my pans with unsweetened cocoa powder).
- 6Bake at 375 degrees for 25 - 30 minutes or until tests done with toothpick.
- 7Cool in pans for 10 minutes. Then remove from pans and cool on wire racks until completely cooled. Frost with your favorite frosting. My favorites are: Seven minute frosting or Fudge Frosting.