I love how easy they are to make & the compliments I get whenever I make them, well those don't hurt. Haha!
NOTE: I like to use creamy Jif peanut butter, but the choice is yours. I also like to use dark chocolate chips. I feel that the peanut butter & confectioner's sugar adds enough sweetness. You can add less cereal for less crunch or add more chocolate topping. This is an easy recipe to adjust to your liking. Enjoy!!!
- 1 c
- butter, melted
- 2 c
- confectioners' sugar
- 2 c
- creamy and/or crunchy peanut butter
- 4 c
- rice crispies cereal
- 2 c
- dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4 Tbsp
- peanut butter, creamy
How to Make Gold Bars
- 1In a large bowl mix together melted butter & confectioners' sugar.
- 2Next, add 2 cups preferred peanut butter until well blended. The mixture should have cooled to room temperature by this point.
- 3Fold in rice crispies until well coated. Try to avoid over mixing which can crush the cereal.
- 4In a 13x11 baking dish that has been lined with plastic wrap & lightly sprayed with non-stick cooking spray, gently press mixture evenly into baking dish.
- 5For the Topping:
In the microwave, melt the chocolate chips stirring until smooth. (Heat approx 30-45 seconds at a time, then stir & repeat until fully melted. Be careful, the mixing dish can get extremely hot! You can use any preferred method for melting the chocolate.)
- 6Next add the 4tbsp of peanut butter to the melted chocolate. Add a few extra chocolate chips, approx. 1 tbsp to temper the chocolate. Stir until completely incorporated. The chocolate will have a shine to it.
- 7Allow to cool to about room temperature & pour on top of peanut butter mixture. (I let it cool for about 5 minutes or so.)
- 8Chill uncovered in the refrigerator until set but not hard. Chocolate will begin to lose its shiny appearance. (approx. 1hr & 15min.)
- 9Cut into pieces of desired size. (I use a pizza cutter.)
- 10Cover & return to the refrigerator until chocolate has hardened completely. (Overnight is best.) The longer these are kept, the better they get.