I love how easy they are to make & the compliments I get whenever I make them, well those don't hurt. Haha!
NOTE: I like to use creamy Jif peanut butter, but the choice is yours. I also like to use dark chocolate chips. I feel that the peanut butter & confectioner's sugar adds enough sweetness. You can add less cereal for less crunch or add more chocolate topping. This is an easy recipe to adjust to your liking. Enjoy!!!
How to Make Gold Bars
- 1In a large bowl mix together melted butter & confectioners' sugar.
- 2Next, add 2 cups preferred peanut butter until well blended. The mixture should have cooled to room temperature by this point.
- 3Fold in rice crispies until well coated. Try to avoid over mixing which can crush the cereal.
- 4In a 13x11 baking dish that has been lined with plastic wrap & lightly sprayed with non-stick cooking spray, gently press mixture evenly into baking dish.
- 5For the Topping:
In the microwave, melt the chocolate chips stirring until smooth. (Heat approx 30-45 seconds at a time, then stir & repeat until fully melted. Be careful, the mixing dish can get extremely hot! You can use any preferred method for melting the chocolate.)
- 6Next add the 4tbsp of peanut butter to the melted chocolate. Add a few extra chocolate chips, approx. 1 tbsp to temper the chocolate. Stir until completely incorporated. The chocolate will have a shine to it.
- 7Allow to cool to about room temperature & pour on top of peanut butter mixture. (I let it cool for about 5 minutes or so.)
- 8Chill uncovered in the refrigerator until set but not hard. Chocolate will begin to lose its shiny appearance. (approx. 1hr & 15min.)
- 9Cut into pieces of desired size. (I use a pizza cutter.)
- 10Cover & return to the refrigerator until chocolate has hardened completely. (Overnight is best.) The longer these are kept, the better they get.