Decadent Trio Chocolate Hazelnut Cheesecake
Note 1: I have placed this in my freezer to speed up the chilling steps if I am in a hurry, OR I make this the day before and chill overnight. This keeps well in a covered cake plate for up to 2 weeks, or freeze it and thaw in the refrigerator before cutting. Note 2: Don't let the 4 hour prep time confuse you that includes 3 hours of chilling time. It is about 40 minutes prep time and the rest is cooling and chilling!
Blue Ribbon Recipe
This is a really rich and thick chocolate cheesecake. A small piece will go a long way...but I can't promise that you won't still want seconds! The Test Kitchen
1 tspvegetable oil
16 ozyour favorite chocolate chip cookies, (ready-to-eat), reserving 4 ounces
6 Tbspunsalted butter, melted and cooled
8 ozsemi-sweet chocolate morsels
8 ozmilk chocolate morsels
8 ozdark chocolate morsels
1/2 cwhite granulated sugar
3 ccream cheese, at room temperature
2 cheavy whipping cream
8 Tbsphazelnut liqueur
1 csour cream, (optional) for plating/garnish
12fresh strawberries, (optional) for plating/garnish
How to Make Decadent Trio Chocolate Hazelnut Cheesecake
- Place a circle of parchment paper cut to fit an 10 inch round spring-form cake pan in the bottom of the pan. Brush the SIDES of the pan with the oil.
- Place 12 ounces (about 2/3) of the crushed cookies in a bowl and add in the melted butter and stir until well mixed. Press the cookie-butter mixture into the bottom of the parchment lined cake pan. Place the pan in refrigerator to chill for 1 hour.
- Place ALL the chocolate morsels in a metal or glass heatproof bowl and set it over a pan of simmering water to melt. Stir it every few minutes. This steps takes about 15 minutes. Remove bowl from heat and allow it to cool.
- While chocolate cools, whip the heavy whipping cream in a separate mixing bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks forms. Keep cold and set aside.
- In another bowl add the sugar and cream cheese and beat until smooth, about 3 minutes. Fold in the cooled chocolate and prepared whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture and then stir in the liqueur.
- Spoon the chocolate mixture into the spring-form cake pan that contains the cookie layer. Smooth the surface. Take the reserved 4 ounces of the crushed cookies and sprinkle them lightly over the entire top of the cheesecake. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator to chill for 2 hours.
- When ready to serve, remove from the refrigerator, then open and remove the sides of the spring-form cake pan and transfer the chilled cheesecake to a cake platter. Cut into slices. Plate each serving portion with a nice dollop of sour cream and strawberries (both optional). Cover and chill any leftovers!