Decadent Chocolate Biscotti
Annamaria Settanni McDonald
2 1/2 call purpose flour
1 1/3 csugar
3/4 cunsweetened cocoa powder
2 tspbaking powder
1 stickbutter, melted
2 tsppure vanilla extract
1 cchopped nuts toasted, optional
6-12 ozsemisweet chocolate chips
How to Make Decadent Chocolate Biscotti
- Preheat oven to 325° F. In medium bowl, mix flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In large bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat butter, eggs, and vanilla until mixed. Reduce speed to low; gradually add flour mixture and beat just until blended. With hand, knead in almonds and chocolate until combined.
- Divide dough in half. On parchment paper lined large cookie sheet, shape each half into 12" by 3" log, about 3 inches apart. Bake logs 30 minutes. Cool logs on cookie sheet on wire rack 15 minutes.
- Place logs on cutting board. With serrated knife, cut each log crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick diagonal slices. With long metal spatula, place slices, top side up, 1/4 inch apart, on same cookie sheet. Bake slices 20 minutes to allow biscotti to dry out. Cool biscotti completely on cookie sheet on wire rack. (Biscotti will harden as they cool.) Store biscotti in tightly covered container at room temperature up to 2 weeks, or in freezer up to 6 months.
- The additional 20 minute baking time is optional, but do lay cookies to dry. Also for a little almond flavor, use 1 teaspoon of almond extract and 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract instead of the 2 teaspoons of vanilla. Drizzle with chocolate of choice or shake some powdered sugar atop.