- 1 pkg
- pie crust chilled(or 1 recipe sweet short crust chilled
- butter for greasing
- all purpose flour for dusting
- 8 oz
- 4 oz
- plain chocolate chopped
- 2 tsp
- instant coffee granules
- 2 Tbsp
- castor sugar(super fine sugar)
- 2 large
- egg yolks
- for decoration
- 7 oz
- heavy cream, cold
- 2 Tbsp
- powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp
- rum or rum extract
- 11/2 tsp
- instant coffee dissolved in one teaspoon boiling water
- white chocolate curls to decorate
- sifted cocoa to dust
How to Make Coffee Tarts
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees.Lightly grease a 12 section muffin tin with butter.On a lightly floured surface roll out chilled pastry dough and cut in four inch circles re roll trimmings as needed.Gently place in prepared muffin pan and use fork to prick bottom of crusts.Chill for 15 minutes.Use pie weights or dried beans to weight crusts and bake for10 minutes.
- 2Remove the weights and bake for another 2-3 minutes or until slightly crisp.Turn oven down to 325 degrees.
While the pie crusts are cooking heat the milk just to boiling point in small sauce pan.Add the chocolate.coffee and castor sugar and leave to stand off the heat until chocolate has melted.Then stir to combine.
- 3Beat the eggs and yolks in a mixing bowl,gradually whisk in the warm milk mixture until smooth.
Pour the custard mixture into pastry shells and bake
for about 15 minutes or until just set.Allow to cool in tin for 10 minutes then loosen with a butter knife.Transfer to wire rack to cool.
- 4Whip the (cold) heavy cream in a cold mixing bowl until soft peaks form.Add the sugar,rum and coffee
and whisk until thick.Spoon over the tarts and decorate with white chocolate curls and dust with powdered cocoa.