Coconut Meringue Dark Chocolate Brownies
- 4 oz. unsweetened dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 6 tbsp. unsalted butter, plus more for the pan (3/4 stick)
- 2/3 cup flour, plus more for the pan
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. coconut extract or 2 tbsp. shredded coconut
How to Make Coconut Meringue Dark Chocolate Brownies
- 1Preheat oven to 350. Butter and flour an 8 inch square baking pan.
- 2to make brownies, heat chocolate and butter in pan over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly til melted and smooth; do not overheat. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature
- 3In small bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, beat together sugar eggs and vanilla with mixer til mixture is very thick. Whisk melted chocolate mixture into the sugar egg mixture, then stir in flour mixture. Pour into prepared pan. Bake brownies for about 20 minutes or til the top is set and a knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- 4Meanwhile, to make meringue, in clean, dry bowl, beat egg whites with mixer til fluffy. gradually add sugar, vanilla and coconut extract and beat til stiff and glossy. When the brownies are done, pour meringue over top. Increase heat to broil and brown the meringue topping. Remove from oven and cool before slicing.