- 1 stick
- unsalted butter
- 6 oz
- bittersweet chocolate chopped
- 3/4 c
- 2 Tbsp
- 1/2 c
- all purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp
- baking powder
- 1/3 tsp
- 4 large
- 1 tsp
- pure vanilla extract
How to Make Chocolate Sinkholes
- 1Melt butter and chocolate in a double boiler, stirring occasionally.
- 2Allow to cool to room temperature.
- 3Preheat oven to 325.
- 4Sift all the sugar, flour, baking powder and salt together and set aside.
- 5In another bowl, beat the eggs and vanilla until incorporated.
- 6Slowly stir in the sugar/flour mixture just until everything is combined.
- 7Divide the batter among 6 (6 ounce) ramekins.
- 8Arrange the cups in a baking dish or roasting pan and fill the dish with enough cool tap water to come one third of the way up the sides of the cups.
- 9This water bath assures that the bottom portions of the cakes remain in a batter state.
- 10Bake for 35 minutes, or until tops are firm.
- 11They will look crusty, and a fissure is likely to open in the middle of each.
- 12Serve warm with ice cream.