★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 6 Tbsp
- 1/4 c
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 Tbsp
- sifted cornstarch
- 1 tsp
- unflavored gelatin
- 1 c
- half and half
- 1 c
- evaporated skim milk
- 2/3 c
- whole milk
- jumbo egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 tsp
- vanilla extract
- 1/4 c
- heavy cream, whipped
- 1 Tbsp
- chopped blanched pistachios
OPTIONAL TOPPING INGREDIENTS
How to Make Chocolate Silk
- 1In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cocoa, cornstarch and gelatin, pressing out all lumps.
- 2Add the half and half, evaporated skim milk and whole milk; whisk vigorously to blend.
- 3Set the pan over moderately low heat and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden, until the mixture just boils and is thickened and smooth, about 10 minutes.
- 4Blend a little of the hot mixture into the beaten egg yolks, then stir the warmed egg yolks back into the pan.
- 5Cook over moderately low heat, stirring constantly, for 3 to 4 minutes.
- 6The mixture must not boil or the eggs will scramble.
- 7Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla.
- 8Set the saucepan on a rack to cool for 10 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent a skin from forming on the surface.
- 9Ladle the mixture into 6 decorative 4-ounce white porcelain ramekins and let cool completely.
- 10Cover each cup with plastic wrap, then refrigerate at least 5 hours, or overnight.
- 11Serve as is or top each serving with a little of the whipped cream and a scattering of pistachios.