Chocolate Drizzled Caramel Popcorn
Annamaria Settanni McDonald
12 cpopped popcorn
3 1/2 csalted nuts, any variation you like
1 cfirmly packed brown sugar
1/2 clight corn syrup
1 tspbaking soda
1 cdark chocolate chips
1 1/2 tspshortening
1/2 cwhite chocolate chips
How to Make Chocolate Drizzled Caramel Popcorn
- Heat oven to 250°F. Place popcorn, cashews and pecans in large roasting pan.
- Combine brown sugar, butter and corn syrup in 2-quart saucepan. Cook over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil (7 to 8 minutes). Continue boiling 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in baking soda.
- Pour butter mixture over popcorn mixture in pan; stir well. Bake for 60 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Remove from oven; place onto waxed paper or parchment paper. Cool completely. (DO NOT BREAK INTO PIECES.)
- Place chocolate chips and 1 teaspoon shortening into resealable plastic food bag. Microwave on HIGH (100% power) for 30 to 45 seconds; knead bag. Continue microwaving at 15 second intervals, kneading until smooth. Cut tiny corner from bag; drizzle melted chocolate over popcorn mixture. Repeat with white baking chips and remaining 1/2 teaspoon shortening, microwaving on MEDIUM-HIGH (70% power). Drizzle over popcorn mixture. Let stand until chocolate is set (3 to 4 hours). Break popcorn mixture into pieces.
- Store in container with tight-fitting lid or resealable plastic food bag.
- Chocolate and white baking chips can be melted separately with shortening in a small bowl in microwave or in small saucepan over low heat until melted. Drizzle chocolate mixtures with fork or spoon.