Chocolate Cherry Cordial Mousse
I love the flavor of chocolate covered cherries, sometimes known as cherry cordials.
Use canned cherries, not cherry pie filling.
2 cwhole milk
3-4 ozsweet baking chocolate, grated
4egg yolks, beaten
3/4 cheavy whipping cream
2 Tbspbrandy or kirsch
1 ccanned dark cherries with juice
1 Tbspbrandy or kirsch
How to Make Chocolate Cherry Cordial Mousse
- Chill your cream, mixing bowl, and beaters for at least one hour before starting recipe.
- Scald the milk in a saucepan over low heat. Stir in the 1/4 cup sugar and chocolate until blended and chocolate melts.
- Pour about 1/2 cup of this mixture over the beaten egg yolks in a mixing bowl, and mix together quickly. Then pour this mixture back into the chocolate mixture in the pan. Stir constantly over low heat until it thickens slightly. Do not overcook. Place the pan in a bowl of cold water to cool it.
- In the chilled bowl, whip the cream until stiff. Whip in the vanilla and 2 tablespoons brandy or Kirsch.
- Fold the cooled chocolate custard into the whipped cream until well blended. Fill custard cups with the mousse. Place in refrigerator.
- Drain canned cherries, reserving 1/4 cup juice. Heat the 1/4 cup juice and the sugar over medium high heat, stirring constantly, to a boil. Boil until thickened like syrup, several minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in cherries and brandy or Kirsch. Spoon this mixture evenly over mousse just before serving. (Cherry mixture may be held at room temperature until serving time.)