- 1/2 c
- 1/4 tsp
- 1 c
- 1 box
- (small) french vanilla instant pudding
- 1 1/2 c
- 9 oz cool whip/thawed
- 2 tsp
- almond extract
- 2 oz
- semi sweet choclate squares
- 2 Tbsp
- 3 Tbsp
- 1 c
- confectioners' sugar
How to Make Chocolate Almond Cream Eclairs
- 1Keep in mind that Choux Paste can be temperamental. I find making the shells on a day without humidity, helps to make them the best. Be careful NOT to burn the paste as you add flour in the next step.
- 2To begin, preheat oven to 375 degrees.
In a saucepan melt 1/2 c butter, add salt and water. Bring to a boil. Immediately put heat to low, I even raise the pan off unit if seems too hot. Add flour and beat with a wooden spoon to form a soft ball of dough. Cool away from heat for 1 minute. Add eggs, ONE AT A TIME, beating into the dough. May seem lumpy but keep beating until a smooth creamy paste results.
- 3Grease a large cookie sheet lightly, and drop 1/4 c of paste 1-2" apart. Cool slightly, and shape into eclair shell.
Bake 40 minutes, cut a small slit into the side of each shell (releases the moisture inside the shell) and continue baking 8-10 minutes until golden brown.
Cool on a wire rack.
- 4Meanwhile, mix the filling. Add 1 1/2 c milk to pudding and whisk 2 minutes until smooth. Add cream, fold until well blended. Add almond extract. Set aside.
- 5Frosting: Melt Chocolate and 2 TBS. butter; remove from heat. Stir in confectionery sugar and 3 TBS. milk. Add more sugar if necessary. Will look shiny and smooth, ready to spread.
- 6Cut each eclair on one side, do not cut all the way around. Fill with cream. Frost and chill at least 6 hrs. May do the day before. Cover well to keep the fresh taste if not serving the same day.